Friday, June 18, 2010

Guest Starring: Mikkel Raahede as The Blogger

I’ve been nervous for days. Or maybe excited is a better word. Or nervcited. Is that a word? I don’t know.

What I do know is that my American directing debut is getting closer, and tonight just made all the anxiety vanish completely, leaving only place for joy. Briefly.

Maybe I should back up a bit. I am Danish, and though I currently live in Copenhagen, I jump at every chance I get to work with Mill6. In Denmark I have been directing and acting for years, but somehow it is always new and different here in Boston. All my primal fear of not being understood and being the new kid in the class comes rushing back.

So when I sat in the plane last Monday on my way here, I was convinced that I would not understand the script given to me, and I would not be able to make myself clear to the actors.

This night we all met, and the matches were made by draws from a hat. Getting there made me nervous. Again. Here I was in all my pastel glory, and I had to get past more than a couple of guys in tattoos and leather jackets. With the same drawings on the back.

I made it past them and was greeted by so many familiar faces, and a couple of new ones. All looking very talented. Way more talented than I can ever become. I considered turning around and abandon the whole thing, but that would mean getting past those leather-clad men again. So I stayed.

Boy was I lucky. I was matched up with two girls that I already know are brilliant, plus one more actress that I have all the confidence will shine throughout this experience, and a playwright that realised that none of the thoughts he had going in to this could still could apply. So we really start at a blank page, and we will truly go through this together.

And I can’t wait!

M

No comments: